Title: Bone of Contention Tri-althon
THE ULTIMATE CHALLENGE for Families, Seniors, Juniors,Sailors and Rowers
Are you fit enough to do the “Argus”?
Are you planning to sail in the WC Champs?
If so, you need to test yourself in the
BONE OF CONTENTION & JUNIOR BONE OF CONTENTION
DATE – Sunday March 25th 2012
FORMAT – PURSUIT triathlon, INDIVIDUAL or TEAM relay
3 LEGS - Run, Cycle, Sail/Row
START - From 10H30, pursuit start
ENTER by email or in writing before Saturday 24th March, 12h00. LATE ENTRIES get a 5 MINUTE PENALTY. No entries after 10h00 on the 25th. Enter by “forwarding” this mail to email@example.com with the information filled in below. (Please do not “Reply” as it goes to a dummy mailbox)
Sailing/Rowing Leg Skipper/Stroke Name:
Class of boat (rowers state scull, pair, quad, eight)
Skipper/Stroke age (in years) on 25th March 2012
Are you competing in all three legs: YES/ NO (delete)
If NO, delete the legs you are not doing – RUNNING / or RUNNING and CYCLING
Are you competing as an INDIVIDUAL/ TEAM (delete)
Only teams need to complete the following:
RULES AND FORMAT
- All competitors must be members of the club (no elite imports please) and may enter as an individual or a team. Each change of the competing team member from one leg to another will incur a 3 minute handicap.
- Individuals who wish to omit either the running, or the running and cycling legs may do so. These individuals will be permitted to start three minutes after a competitor of the same class, age group and sex has finished the preceding leg (or the next worse competitor if there is not a perfect match).
- Only the skipper/stroke needs to complete all legs of the triathlon to compete as an individual
- Each of the three legs start and finish by touching the club flagpole
- Entrants participate entirely at their own risk noting that the running and cycling legs are on open public roads and tracks.
- First Pursuit Start at 10h30 – start times for each team will be placed on the notice board by 10h15.
- To finish each leg the skipper/stroke must touch the flag pole (and then his team mate if he is not competing as an individual).
- First adult skipper/stroke to touch the flag pole after completing the course will be the winner of the Bone of Contention. The first Junior (15 years and younger) wins the Junior Bone of Contention. Other prizes may be awarded.
- Juniors may have adults in their team for running and cycling legs but these adults have to do the adult running and cycling courses (moms, dads this is for you!!)
- A “Family” allowance will be given to teams made up from a single family at the organizer’s discretion depending on competitors age and number of females competing
- Adult ladies (more than 15 years) get a 2 minute handicap benefit per leg.
- Portsmouth boat handicaps will be used as the basis for boat handicaps.
- No outside assistance of any form is permitted from non-competitors other than handing of sustenance from a stationary person.
- An age allowance per leg will be given for all skippers as follows:
Less than 11: 3 minutes; 11-12: 2 minutes; 12-13: 1 minute; 50 – 60: 1 minute; 60 – 65: 2 minutes; 65 – 70: 3 minutes; 70 -75: 4 minutes, above 75: 7 minutes.
- The penalty for the breach of any rule is disqualification.
- The organizers decision is final.
- A boerie roll and drink will be provided to all competitors after completion of the entire course.
- Prize giving will be held immediately after the last finisher has completed the course
- All competitors compete entirely at their own risk
- Start at ZVYC flag pole, to the weir around the bench and back around the flagpole, back to the weir around the bench and back to the flagpole (±4.5km). Juniors do 1 lap (+- 2km)
- Helmets to be fitted before mounting the bicycle.
- Starting near the flagpole on the slipway, up Governor’s Walk and Turn Left into Peninsula Road
- TR into Flamingo Crescent at the end of Peninsula Rd
- TL back into Peninsula Road and past the Yacht Club entrance
- TL into Victoria Road
- TL into Fisherman’s Walk
- Follow the road to the right at the Bird sanctuary (Perth Road)
- TR (first right) into Dabchick Road
- TR (first right) into Coot
- TL back into Fisherman’s Walk and back past the club to repeat the route
- Juniors do 2 laps, seniors do 3 laps, +/- 11 and 16km respectively
- Note that these are open public roads, please obey all traffic rules and take care.
- Life jackets to be fitted before launching sailing boats. Boats to have their mainsails down until the skipper has reached the boat after touching the flag pole. Rowing crew must launch their boat after the stroke has reached the boat
- Senior Sailing Course: – launch from the club slipway, around buoy 3 (starboard), around buoy 7 (starboard) and back to ZVYC.
- Junior Sailing Course: – launch at the club slipway, around buoy 7 (starboard) and back to ZVYC.
- Rowing Course: – launch at the club, around the island (starboard), around buoy 6 (starboard), around the island (port) and back to ZVYC.